Lesson 1 Objectives
When you complete this lesson you will be able to:
- Know the history and origins of the slide rule,
- comprehend the basic principle of operation of slide rules,
- recognize the scales and their function in a slide rule,
- compute operations using an engineering slide rule.
Select a reading section below. The reading page has a link to return to the lesson page.
- A brief history of slide rules
- Principles of operation of slide rules
- Slide Rule Terminology
- Basic Calculations
- Advanced Calculations
- ALL ABOUT SLIDE RULES. Compiled by Richard Davis and Ted Hume from an original design by Bob Koppany. The Oughtred Society. Roseville, California 2012.
Lecture 1 Video
Watch the lecture video below. You may need a notebook to take notes while I explain the material.